Monday 21 January 2008

Nessun' dorma nelle montagne Lake District

Not really a Grimes connection here, really, but I've just got back from a stag weekend up in the Lakes. Not, of course, mine. One of the lads in the room next to me heard me singing bits of Grimes in the shower and commended me the next morning on my singing. Actually, he thought he'd been hearing selections from HMS Pinafore, but I suppose he wasn't a million nautical miles away.

Anyway, the next day we all walked up to the top of the Old Man of Coniston and he insisted I sing Nessun' dorma at the summit, in the freezing cold fog. Which I did, after a fashion - probably the fashion of a Stars in their eyes contestant doing Russell Watson after nine pints of Bluebird the night before.

The party was amused, anyway, though they were keener on doing a team version of The hills are alive with the sound of music.

I can't make the rehearsal on Thursday, as I'm up north for a wedding. Not, of course, mine.

No comments: